Monday, April 18, 2016

Week 15 prompt

What do you think are the best ways to market your library's fiction collection? Name and describe three ways you do or would like to market your library or your future library's fiction. These can be tools, programs, services, displays - anything that you see as getting the word out.

I like passive RA--laying out bookmarks, read-a-like flyers and posting up the bestseller lists.  One week, we forgot to change the NYT bestseller list that's posted in our New Fiction section, and several patrons let us know about it!  A couple homebound patrons also send us their own highlighted copies to let us know what they're interested in.  Teens don't seem to care about the NYT bestseller list all that much, however.  (Probably because it usually stays the same for long periods of time...for months, my boss and I had a guessing game about how many John Green books were listed per week!)  Bookmarks are especially popular as they serve that double purpose--pointing patrons towards new reads but also marking their spot in their current book!  Older patrons like the read-a-like flyers, or even just print-outs that list series in order because if the series isn't listed within the book, they are unlikely to try the computer themselves to find that information.

Displays are also a hit, and sometimes a lot of fun to put together!  There's more opportunity to create elaborate and imaginative displays for Children's and Young Adult, but we like to get creative with the Adult fiction too.  An attractive sign or a few props really draw the eye, and our patrons often to stop and browse the latest display.  I've done some holiday-centered ones for Young Adult, a Star Wars display for Children's that was crazy popular, and just today I set up a Downton Abbey read-a-like display for this class' final project.  Other displays I've seen around at our libraries include color-coded ones, "Books Gone Hollywood!", a dueling dog display and cat display set across from each other...  Thematic displays are a good way to bring some older titles into the spotlight.

One marketing strategy I'd like to explore more is using social media to promote our materials.  Our library website has a blog function, and I believe there were hopes that designated staff members would post about what they're reading, but it fell through the cracks between other projects.  Our Facebook and Twitter page advertises programs and services, which as I believe Saricks points out in this week's reading, isn't enough to boost circ stats.  I attended CYPD last year in Indy and one of the speakers there had great suggestions about how to use Youtube for book talks and Twitter for personalized suggestions.  There was some talk about starting a Youtube channel for our Teen department, but again I think that fell by the wayside of other projects.  I tried a Twitter account for recommending YA material, but didn't have a good way to promote it.  I'm interested in trying these sites again, and will try pushing for more support on them.

6 comments:

  1. I love your idea about bookmarks. I'm a bookmark collector and I like even a cheap bookmark that I can use with other titles I may like on them. It is a good reminder, too, if you don't have anything to write the title down in. I also like your social media ideas. It is a good way to get a lot of information out to a lot of people in an easy and cheap way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bookmarks too. I even take the ones they make in the teen and children's areas. Every time I find a new one I want it. I worked at Angelo State University this semester and did my internship. They use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram all the time and they have a nice following. I think the YouTube idea sounds really great. Thank you for sharing with us. Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm another fan of bookmarks, book lists, anything patrons can take with them as a reminder and r.a. source. Sadly, this is one technique that isn't much supported in my workplace. I'm hoping we have to reprint the booklist from my final project several times so we can revisit producing handouts for patrons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a fan of passive programming too. It is very easy and simple, yet effective. Social media seems to be increasing so much as a marketing tool for libraries; the library where I work does an book club on facebook where various books are discussed online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a fan of passive programming too. It is very easy and simple, yet effective. Social media seems to be increasing so much as a marketing tool for libraries; the library where I work does an book club on facebook where various books are discussed online.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have recently started a blog with our book club. It started out being used rarely but now we have 10-12 people who post and comment on it regularly. Pretty satisfied with the turn out!

    ReplyDelete