Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Week 13 prompt

Though this week's group of "genres" all seem very different, they all have in common the fact that many people don't feel that they are legitimate literary choices and libraries shouldn't be spending money on them or promoting them to adults. The common belief is that adults still don't or shouldn't read that stuff. How can we as librarians, work to ensure that we are able to serve adults who enjoy YA literature or graphic novels? Or should we? I can't wait to read your thoughts on this. Thanks!

In the Reference class, it's discussed over and over how we as librarians need to be impartial to what our patrons request.  And while that attitude may seem more appropriate to the reference desk, it should also carry over to Reader's Advisory.  If there is demand for a genre or a particular title, it would be worth the library's money to obtain it.  We do not need to look too deeply into pop culture to see the demands for the stories told in YA and graphic novels, at least.

I wrote my midterm on integrating graphic novels into RA, so I don't know that I need to repeat myself.  Personally, I think graphic novels are a fantastic storytelling format.  Between the art and the words, I find them wonderfully creative.  Others may find them too busy, or may prefer to not see any objectionable themes illustrated.  That's fine!  Just as it's fine if an adult prefers to read a YA book.  YA often deals with problems specific to teenagers, but they may also cover the same territory adult books do, just in a more simplistic way.  We all read for different reasons.  I don't think it's our place as librarians to tell a patron that their preferences aren't "good enough" or to push challenging material on a patron that just wants something escapist.

If we focus on appeal factors, I don't think we'll have a hard time at least recommending YA, NA, or graphic novel stories to our patrons.  Of course, after we make the recommendation, it's ultimately up to the patron to decide if they'll try it!  I just think we might have more success if we lead with the appeal factors first, get the patron intrigued before introducing the format/recommended age range.  If we act as if it doesn't matter that the book is intended towards teens or 20-something adults, or that it's illustrated, it may ease any hesitation a patron might have.

(Although I was a little thrown by NA books.  I had never heard the term before!  It feels like a marketing ploy to me, but maybe that's because I'm unfamiliar with it.  "Adult" fiction encompasses so many decades of life and experiences, why shouldn't younger adults have their niche?  I've also read many good articles about being aware that while adults may read YA books and love them, it is important for marketers and publishers to remember that they are intended for teens.  But as we are RA librarians who are concerned with connecting readers to stories, we need only to be concerned about marketing in how it might influence our patrons' preconceptions.)

8 comments:

  1. I have to agree with your post: we can't judge people for what they want to read. As long as there are people reading, that's good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with your post: we can't judge people for what they want to read. As long as there are people reading, that's good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way - the first time I heard "New Adult" as a genre I thought "What marketing agency came up with that." But most genres have really specific or sometimes odd-sounding sub-genres, so it makes sense that YA would too.

    Great point about impartiality. We don't judge what our patrons are researching, so we shouldn't judge what they're reading. Graphic novels and YA are wonderful in their own way and speak to different people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The NA term was new to me as well. If our readers are looking for a particular genre or format, why wouldn't we want to promote them to our patrons? Of course, YA may be a little more difficult only because the YA collection is physically located in a separate area of the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's so ridiculous that we judge people by what they read. I almost think it's crazy we have to even have a conversation about it but there are those who do judge. I mean, as long as people are reading, do we really care what they are reading??

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're absolutely right that we need to provide readers with whatever they enjoy to read.
    I completely agree with NA seeming like a marketing ploy. I'd never heard of the new adult genre before, and when I look at their definition, it's basically just adult literature. I really don't think we need another breakdown, but that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good point about being impartial about readers' choices, both as reference and readers' advisory librarians. I really don't like graphic novels myself, but I try to read some of the more popular ones so that I can be a good readers' advisor to my students who enjoy them. It's part of the job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel strongly that New Adult is not a marketing ploy. If you look at the genre it has a very specific flavor to it--angsty, life transition/relationship books. They are definitely a subgenre of romance novels, often with explicit sexual situations. My impression is that 50-70% of the genre is written in first-person narration, often alternating between the main characters' perspectives. I would recommend trying out a few samples from amazon to get a feel for the style. I think that the genre has a type of reader that it attracts and that picking one up by accident could be a surprise.

    ReplyDelete