Monday, February 22, 2016

Week Seven prompt

Somehow, I have only ever read one James Patterson book.  The Angel Experiment, the first Maximum Ride novel, back when it first came out in 2005.  This seems mathematically amazing, considering how much I read and the fact that he's published at least 147 books.  (I got this number from Wikipedia, so I added "at least" since I can't tell when it was last updated.  Patterson's official website does not seem to give a grand total either.)

Since I have only read the one, I don't have any strong opinion on Patterson.  I don't avoid his books, I just...never seem to come in contact with one, except passing the latest back and forth half a hundred times with patrons.  Yet I was fascinated by "The James Patterson Business."

I'd heard some snide comments before about how "Patterson hasn't written any of his own books in the last ten years!"  It is hard to judge how involved he is in the process of co-authorship, since everyone seems to be under a legal agreement not to discuss it.  I'll agree it's an incredibly commercial process that seem to leave the concept of "writing as art" behind.  That may be unfair to say about the co-author, but they do have to adjust their personal style to Patterson's, which is (in)famous for being short and to-the-point.  But I have to say, I respect the business sense Patterson brought from his advertising career to his writing career.

Before I got a library job and enrolled here at IUPUI, I was a sales representative and the company was undergoing a re-branding.  So I'm somewhat familiar with the practices Patterson and his agents discuss in the article.  The article is 14 years old, so we have the benefit of reading this but then looking to our shelves and seeing the impact Patterson has had on how authors are marketed.  How many New books have covers where the author's name is in larger font than the title?  I've also noticed more than once how blurbs on the cover are authors talking about other authors, rather than the specific work.  I almost found the interview with his cover designer interesting.  Patterson knew from his time as an advertising exec the power of the visual, and he's clearly applied it to his books.  The stories of his interactions with stores and fans at signings (especially when juxtaposed with those rumors his behavior towards negative critics) put me in mind of customer service as well.

It's easy to drag Patterson through the mud on this.  Call him lazy, put down his books as works that coast by on name instead of merit.  Yet by using co-authors, he is giving beginning or less-known authors a chance to practice their story-telling and to get their name out there.  His constant best-sellers are boosting his publishing house and reflecting well on his agent.  According to his website, he gives a ton of money away to charities and scholarships.  And he gives the reading masses what they want--entertainment.  I can't fault anyone for finding his books enjoyable.  I mean, when I go to the movie theater, it's usually in the summer for all those action blockbusters with shallow but fast plots.  There are plenty of talented authors on our shelves who raise up the art of writing.  We can point a more discerning reader in their direction.

Patterson has been incredibly successful in turning his writing into a lucrative business.  Regardless of how you feel about the "art vs. commercial" controversy of his process, it's hard to argue with that kind of money.  And with those circ stats we see on his books!

Resources
  • Zaleski, J. (2002). The James Patterson Business. Publishers Weekly, 249(44), 43.

7 comments:

  1. I really like your take on this article. I didn't even think about Patterson enabling some authors to get their names out there or practice their craft. I wonder how much "mentoring" he does for them. The only thing that I would add (that I mentioned in my response) is that Patterson isn't necessarily getting something for nothing here. He has to attach his name to whatever comes out of the co-authorship whether good or bad. If one of the books totally flops, Patterson is really the one who's going to be getting flack about it--not so much the co-author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool that you have a sales background to bring to the discussion. The discussion about covers in the article made a lot of sense to me as I started to think about how most series have a template of sorts so that the books are easily recognizable as belonging together. Though this can get flak for promoting cookie-cutter content as well as covers, having covers that match can be really helpful to someone who's not as familiar with finding books on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting take on this. I have honestly only read two Patterson novels. Miracle on the 17th Green and Miracle at Augusta.(Golf Books) :) Its fascinating how Patterson brings his knowledge of business into his writing career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting take on this. I have honestly only read two Patterson novels. Miracle on the 17th Green and Miracle at Augusta.(Golf Books) :) Its fascinating how Patterson brings his knowledge of business into his writing career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your take on the Patterson article as well. When you said you had only read one, that made me realize I haven't read many either! I remember reading Mary, Mary, and I have read most of the Maximum Ride books, but that's a pretty small portion of them. Anyway, it seems like a lot of us feel torn about the "Patterson business--" we like the circulation his books get, but feel a bit dismayed by such a commercial approach to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your take on the Patterson article as well. When you said you had only read one, that made me realize I haven't read many either! I remember reading Mary, Mary, and I have read most of the Maximum Ride books, but that's a pretty small portion of them. Anyway, it seems like a lot of us feel torn about the "Patterson business--" we like the circulation his books get, but feel a bit dismayed by such a commercial approach to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent insight! I too would like to know how many books he's "written." Full points on your prompt response!

    ReplyDelete